Is Tindie being actively developed or is the platform on maintenance mode only?

I’d like to echo the sentiment that Tindie has made it stupid simple for a basement hacker like myself to fire up an online presence and sell a few widgets. It’s for this reason that I’d prefer to stay on the platform, and I’m happy to hear that there is in fact work being done to close some of the gaps in API functionality.

Thanks @jasminebrackett!

1 Like

I’m still getting this vibe that Tindie isn’t that important to the current owners. It’s totally the opposite of what I thought the platform would become after the acquisition. I look at comparable niche market places and just think how unfortunate it is that Tindie isn’t able to keep pace with the features and technology. I would have loved to see them partner with shipping services and fulfilment centers to really make it a contender. Our business got off the ground because of Tindie but the lack of features for sellers forced us to move to other markets and we now only do a fraction of the business we use to with Tindie. I hope you all find a second wind and do something with this unique website. COVID-19 has forced a change in buyer behavior and people are getting more and more comfortable buying from sites other than Amazon. Sellers are in tune with this fact and are looking harder at 3PLs for their own woocommerce and shopify stores and other non-amazon marketplaces. None of those markets are as niche as Tindie and so it feels like a massive missed opportunity to provide a feature rich one stop shop for all things DIY Electronics. I’d like to see more marketing / advertisement opportunities, shipping integration, 3PL integration and more social interactions with the sellers.

1 Like

As a customer who has been browsing Tindie for a few years… I’ve definately seen people become successful and migrate to other places, while maintaining their Tindie store.

I guess this is one of the reasons why.

Sounds like you’re leaving money on the table Tindie.

1 Like

Our dedicated team is small and we’re doing our best. I’m afraid we’re definitely unable to compare to woocommerce who has over 150 people, and Shopify which is worldwide and over 5000 people.

This year has been especially turbulent and we’ve had to make developments to handle unexpected behaviours. This especially has delayed work on the Order API, and updated Order Status information on Tindie. As well as Shipping Quote Integration, and Tax management.

If you’re thinking about leaving Tindie or have left, what is your biggest pain point?

1 Like

For us the worst part of course is paypal-only restriction - it costs us a lot of money (we pay more than tindie fees on middleman services) and it makes impossible to do business legally if we’ll significantly increase sales, so we don’t really promote our devices until we can find a good alternative - and then we’ll promote them elsewhere.

1 Like

Please let me know your preferred provider on this discussion (click on link to reply in that thread):

1 Like

I’d like to get added to an api beta test, please.

Me too, but another year has gone by with no sign of any changes or development of the platform at all. I also requested beta access last year, never heard back.

Adjust expectations accordingly.

Ah, that’s a real shame.

I like Tindie a lot, but the processing of orders is pretty tedious at the moment. It could be so much smoother with some API tweaks, if Tindie’s limited development resource could add a couple of these small features like ‘mark as dispatched’, then someone in the community could make some tools that leverage the API and post them on github. I’d be happy to do this.

I hear that! That’s the specific feature I was looking for when I posted this thread last year. Maybe we get lucky in 2022 :smiley:

In additional to integrating Wise, we are also working on:

• new order API (with marked as shipped)
  • showing order status to buyers and sellers
  • shipping integration
  • tax handling

Thanks!

1 Like

I hope that international tax handling is the highest priority because things are coming to a head in the UK and EU for shippers from the USA. Currently, the UK seems to not be enforcing their new regulations but that will not last. EU has similar regulations coming on line in July 21. I’m USA based and fully half of my customers are international. Most of them are in the UK/EU. For the around 10% cut that Tindie takes, I’d really like to see some support here. I don’t mind dealing with the tax myself but there is currently no way to charge tax (or any other surcharge) based on buyer’s location.

They are certainly not leaving money on the table if they only have one developer!

Still no answer today for my many message to TINDIE service… as I have already my company website hosting, I am now looking to open my own shop with woocommerce. This DIY platform for electronics was a good idea, I do regret that they seem not be there to drive it anymore.

People are complaining about the lack of support from Tindie. It is a disgrace. I have tried to reach out to various of their staff on Twitter but I’m being completely ignored. I too am now considering moving to another platform or setting up my own site.

I check my tracking : same question on April 17 then May 21th on TINDIE helpdesk + direct message… about disbursement, didn’t get paid for my sales…still no answer.
This attitude is a shame from TINDIE and I really worry about their future. I just get some new order on this platform, but, for now, because of this, I am not decided to send anything to the customer.
I don’t know if other sellers are facing disbursement problem too?

Hi, @SmartElectronic did you email hello@tindie.com as I can’t see any messages from you in our helpdesk? You can also use the form in the help section.

Hi @pmfoundations , the best way to contact staff is by emailing hello@tindie.com. I can see that you did send in a message this morning and we will reply.

Apart from the main Tindie account, I am the only one that actively uses Twitter and I was away from Friday until today.

We are working on improving Tindie, but we’re still a small team.

Well it is good to hear from somebody. I think a lot of people are getting nervous about the support though. There are a lot of new issues to deal with and as sellers grow their presence they want to know that they are not going to end up with a large investment in the platform and be stuck with no support when they could be migrating to other platforms.

@jasminebrackett
here is a list of message from tindie, you can see by yourself that there’s 2 messages (April 17TH then May 21) confirmed by your system.

Without any answer to those I also put direct message to armandoa that replyone time before on other topic but never again despite those messages are confirmed to been wiewed by your systems tools…

So, for sure I can understand that you had a weekend off and far from, computer, BUT the problem didn’t occur on this last weekend, I fell this answer as terribly bad excuse to what append and giving an other email to maybe expect some answer from you is the worse than I ever met from any professional to their customer.
I will copy my message to that one …expecting the problem can be solved quickly then