As we have been removing products that never sold and helped sellers make their product descriptions better, it’s become clear there are 2 different types of sellers.
- Makers selling their creations
Sure there is a little overlap from Makers reselling excess supplies, but for the most part it is pretty clear. So we want to propose a new change to the site that would (hopefully & finally) clear up the discrepancy between the two.
Instead of mixing the two, we begin to look at the Marketplace & Supplies as two totally different parts of the site. Each behaves differently and has different guidelines.
- We continue to work with those makers to improve their listings, help show off their creations
- Higher requirements when listing a product (length of description, requiring more photos, etc)
- Highly curated
- Intended for businesses that stock inventory and sell a product over the long term
- Default sort by “Most Popular” right now
Supplies (maybe rename to classifieds?)
- Resale, one offs, vintage, supplies
- Mainly used for quickly selling something that will never come back in stock
- Let sellers list as is
- Default sort by most recent
Each would get their own search, link from the header, and basically be seen as a silo from the other.
To compare this against Etsy, they act like we have - by mixing them together. Honestly this has been something that has irked me for years. Subsequently, and as long time sellers know, we’ve tried many different solutions to this problem. Because each type of product has different sellers and buying behavior, I think it makes sense to just push them apart one and for all.
What do you all think?