Specify where the items are shipped from?

Hello everyone,

Even if it is quite likely that this request will get ignored, would it be possible to add a line in our profile (in the listing) to specify where the item is shipped from?

Thanks

Items should be, in almost all cases, shipped from you and the location is listed on your profile already. If something is changing with that, I’d need to know.

Well in my case (and I know it’s the same for other people) I design the products from Switzerland yet all my stock is in Shenzhen, China.

Actually to be more exhaustive depending on where the client is from I either ship items from Switzerland or China…

Hi Folks -

So just to be sure - the key with customs is to accurately declare the Country of Origin. That should almost always be listed as the country in which the product is made. That can get a bit sticky if a product is manufactured in multiple countries (i.e. you build a board in China but assemble the product with parts sourced in Switzerland). For most Tindie sellers, this may not be a problem. However for those folks with multiple origin-points, the US CBA (US Customs & Border Protection) provides details on their site for how products must declare the origin marking for these individual countries. See here. I would suggest doing some research on the requirement for the places you find you’re shipping the most, to ensure you comply.

Because we’re really just facilitating the transaction and not the distribution for the item, Tindie sellers will have to decide the requirements for their individual items. However my hope would be that in the future we can compile an FAQ for rules and regulations to try and smooth this process for the sellers!

Best regards,

Matt

Oh, and just to be clear…this has nothing to do with where you are located. You are where you are :slight_smile: (unless you’re perhaps in some quantum state and appearing in multiple places simultaneously). You can be in Bora Bora and declare the customs information as Country of Origin = China.

That doesn’t really solve the problem some Tindie shippers have, which is buyer expectations. If a buyer sees I’m located in the UK, and I ship them a product from China, they’ll be sent a docket to pay VAT from Royal Mail, when they were expecting that it was already domestic and no fees would be owing.

Fair enough. I think there’s a few approaches we could take here. One approach would be for the seller to simply add a note in the product description. Something along the lines of “Ships from China…VAT may apply”. Another option (and we’re open to suggestions) would be to have a “Ships From” field that displays on the individual item pages. This of course assumes the seller keeps this up to date. Before we explored that, I’d be keen to hear input from the sellers on whether people feel this is necessary or what they might have in mind as alternatives.

Best regards,
Matt
Tindie

I’m voting for an additional in the seller profile that appears in each listing :smile: