That’s actually worse for us in the UK.
We have two main rates that most sellers use with Royal Mail
A large letter is normally what most sellers would be sending kits via or small items. This normally costs:
- Second Class (2-3 Days) - £0.73; No Tracking or signature
- First Class (1-2 Days) - £0.93; No Tracking or signature
- First Class Signed For (Usually 1 Day) - £2.03; Just a confirmation signature
- Special Delivery before 1PM next day - £6.4; Tracking & Signature
This is the RAW costs; the final price is normally at least 50p extra to pay for expenses (Hence I charge £1.5 instead of 0.93).
Small parcels are what I send robots out via. Most bigger parcels and items go via this:
- Second Class (2-3 Days) - £2.8; No Tracking or signature
- First Class (1-2 Days) - £3.2; No Tracking or signature
- First Class Signed For (Usually 1 Day) - £4.30; Just a confirmation signature
- Special Delivery before 1PM next day - £7.15; Tracking & Signature
Once again the raw costs. Hence why I normally charge £4.
International postage is even worse. Here’s the prices for 1 robot to America (Middle price range between Europe and Aus).
Small Parcel up to 100 Grams
This is normally what my electronics kits have to go via.
- International Economy - £2.8; up to 30 days
- International Standard - £3.8; Aim for 5-7 working days.
- Tracked & Signed - £8.8; Aim for 5-7 Working days.
Small Parcel 500-750 Grams
Once again what I use for the robots
- International Economy - £5.1; up to 30 days
- International Standard - £7.45; Aim for 5-7 working days.
- Tracked & Signed - £12.45; Aim for 5-7 Working days.
I normally recommend and advertise Standard. I allow customers to use economy as their own choice.
So I think the awnswer is obvoius by now. You make us use tracked; we have to charge customers more than get even less sales. No customer (not even myself) is going to want to pay £7 (1Pm Lrg Lttr ) on a product that costs £9.5
And actually posting it:
We then have another issue. If most sellers (like I do for my kits to save time) use a corner box on their street then you can not use tracked, signed for or anything. You need to go to a post office. Taking up more of the sellers time (I’m lucky I have a post office about 10 mins from where I live but I still prefer to walk with my dog to the local box which is quicker than going there and dumping it all off [I also have an account that allows me to skip the queues there])