Queston: What is the Tinde front page algorithm?

Not that I expect to be told in detail what it is. It’s just that I was selling a few things a month, and then nothing for many months. I get the feeling that new items seem to get more attention. And older posts get sent to the rear.

Don’t get me wrong, I love it here, and I don’t count of sales on Tindie for anything but a bonus sale here or there. But I am curious? And a little disturbed.

There are so many pre-made Chinese stuff on the site, that the original goal of the site seems to be lost. I get the feeling there are many people buying from china, and then just reselling here. And that is a shame IMHO.

Just my 2 cents. Take it with knowing I love the idea of Tindie - but not that I count on it for any income.

My product is regularly in the top few rows of the “browse products” page, which I think is driven by how often something sells. I don’t think that position has any significant incremental impact on sales. Most items on Tindie are too niche that hardly anyone will randomly browse the site and buy something.

In my experience, the main driver for sales are customers writing in forums and on relevant blogs about the product itself or about projects using the product.

And with time, a good description and after collecting some organic links, Google also becomes a reliable source of traffic. Tindie results prominently show up with star rating and review count.