Newbie questions about soil moisture sensor

I’ve just gotten some soil moisture sensors and finally gotten them to work with my PIC microcontroller. I had some difficulties at first in getting the I2C interface to work correctly. I slowed the interface bit rate down, though, and that seemed to help. What is the maximum practical bit rate that can be used for the I2C interface?

I’ve changed the base address correctly on one of the sensors so I can have two boards active and monitoring two different plants. I would like to have a visible way to see if the board is being accessed by the microcontroller when it is doing a reading.

Is there a method of accessing the sensor board’s LED through the I2C interface? I didn’t see anything in the register descriptions.

Thanks.

Hi! I would suggest messaging the seller directly to help you out. If you go onto the product page, on the right side under their name, is a button to contact. Press there and ask your question to get the conversation rolling!

Hi Amber -

I tried that but there was no response in over two weeks. That’s why I tried the Forum approach…

Can you link us to the product in question?

Would you mind also posting your code? Do you have the required pull ups on the I2C lines?

I managed to get the I2C interface to the device working correctly. The question I still have regarding this board is how to access the onboard LED through the I2C interface. Is this possible? Also, is there a description somewhere regarding how to access the board via the SPI interface?

Could you take some pictures of the board? The images the store owner provided are not very helpful. What kind of microcontroller is it running? If it’s a programmable one we might not be able to help!