3d Printer Recommendations?

I’m going to get a 3d printer and was wondering which do Tindarians use? Anyone have any recommendations? 2 great resources I’ve found are the 3dHubs Guide and the Make 3d Print Guide.

I have an Ultimaker, the original wooden one. I like it a lot. I hear that the Ultimaker2 is really good too. Primary purchasing goals met were speed and accuracy. It does both very well.

-John

1 Like

I’ve been using a Printrbot Simple Metal for a month now and am really impressed. It is small enough to take places for demos, and the bed level detection feature makes it quick to setup and getting running at an event.

1 Like

@makersbox i almost bought one of those. Not sure why I didn’t pull the trigger, but that is good to hear!

I also bought a Printrbot Simple Metal and been happy thus far with the quality of the printer. It certainly takes some patience to understand the various knobs to fine tune the printer.

@makersbox I been having some difficulty in getting my print to stick to the platform. Finally managed to get it to stick after putting some rubbing alcohol on the blue painters tape. Still a bit bummed about the warping. Any other tricks that you use to increase the quality?

I met up with Scott Hanselman this weekend at a hackathon, and he has a humorous blog about his struggles getting started with a 3D printer. It is worth a read for a beginner: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheBasicsOf3DPrintingIn2015FromSomeoneWith16WHOLEHOURSExperience.aspx
He also did an interesting “shootout” between a Printrbot and a commercial printer: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/3DPrinterShootout600PrintrbotVs20000UPrintSEPlus.aspx

When you do get your printer, I have your first print:

2 Likes

We’ve been using the MakerGear M2 for a couple years and it’s pretty amazing that it’s STILL getting really good reviews! I noticed 3D Hubs users agreed and so do people on Amazon. Even though it’s single extruder without tons of bells and whistles, it just prints and prints and prints! That just goes to show you don’t have to be MakerBot or Pettit to make a solid product!

I need to take a closer look at that PrinterBot Simple Metal. It’s getting so many good reviews lately.