Thanks for the invite to this thread Emile - very interesting to see some views and numbers on IGG.
As you can see in my numbers below I've had a bit of a different KS experience - and it points to why I've stuck with KS (among other reasons).
- (plus) Most of my pledges come from people on KS, not from my updates on
past projects/direct emails (though those sometimes are more when
combined) - regardless lots of traffic from KS directly and that is
where I get most of my new customers.
- (minus) as KS has grown blog and media coverage is less of a given and I've had to work a lot harder to get it. The Digispark I did nothing for media coverage and got lots of it. The other two I tried hard to get it and didn't get a ton.
- (major plus to me) KS has only fixed funding and has at least a reputation of more reliable projects. I browse IGG frequently and see a lot more projects that are impossible/improbable/only showing CG renders and almost always they have flex funding - I think that scares away a lot of first time users/browsers - which are a big part of my KS backers. KS's very clean style also lends to its professional feel (not saying it is professional, just that it has that feel vs IGG).
A few responses to KS issues:
- The no funds for 14 days is only if you are new to Amazon payments - all of my funds are available immediately as I've used Amazon payments even before my first KS. Just setting up an account before hand and getting one payment and then making a withdrawal will get rid of the 14 day wait later on.
- I find the single units only policy silly - but I've asked KS directly for and been granted exemptions for up to 3 units (on the Pro) as long as I had a good reason someone might need 3 units (mesh networking was my example).
All that said, I haven't tried IGG and certainly can't say I won't - I consider often. I've also considered crowdfunding on my own site now that I feel I have a reputable enough business for people to trust me.
Why crowdfunding? If I made a small batch and ramped up from their my prices would be much higher (due to econ of scale) - and its an adventure - and people love to be part of the whole process. But most of all I want to keep my prices low, quality high, and my workers well paid - to do all that I need scale from the start.
In the interest of open source-ness - here are the numbers from all three of my KS campaigns: