Product Liability Insurance

I have a few units of my first couple of products assembled and tested and was getting product liability insurance quotes before I listed them - I do not intend to lose my house to a lawsuit! However, I found that most policies offered in Australia (where I am) exclude sales to the US and Canada because those are unusually litigious jurisdictions.

I take it tindie does not offer any insurance coverage to its sellers?

What do other sellers do about product liability? If you’re outside the USA, do you buy an additional policy to cover you for US sales?

thanks,

1 Like

OK how about I rephrase that…

Does anyone here have product liability insurance?

1 Like

I’m in the US, and I don’t have any liability insurance. I guess I’m banking on confidence in my products, and the assumption that hacker types aren’t an especially litigious lot.

Just out of curiosity, what are you selling that you’re worried it could do enough damage for someone to sue you, anyway?

Did you ever find coverage? I have the same question!

1 Like

I never found a good answer, sorry. Still got about 50 various completed PCBAs sitting here…

I don’t think my products are particularly high-risk, but that won’t protect anyone. If you think your product is harmless, you need to have a look at some classic test cases. Grass seeds are pretty harmess, right? But there are settlements of $200k+ for supplying the wrong seeds due to consequental damages: weed eradication costs, loss of use of land, etc.

1 Like

This is not quite what you’re asking, and don’t be put off by the title of the article, but you may find it quite informative: https://www.plaintiffmagazine.com/recent-issues/item/products-liability-beating-the-component-parts-defense