I would accept Bitcoin

…if a customer wanted to pay me that way.

I’m sure allowing payment in BTC is doing Adafruit no harm in terms of PR credentials.

Some of the buzz has died down, for sure, but I am willing to believe that among potential Tindie customers there are a good proportion of coin owners/miners who might choose to spend in BTC if given the chance.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I would accept BTC as well. I think it would be a great idea to allow this.

1 Like

Same here, I already except it on my own shop.

@friedcircuits do you get many orders?

Adafruit has gone from 100 orders a day with BTC to 5-10. Their traffic is still much greater than ours so that doesn’t give me much faith in its adoption.

OK, those are small numbers. I’m actually rather surprised.

Perhaps I am in a small minority but I would also be keen to pay for purchases in Bitcoin. I am one of those people who has bank accounts in more than one country, so I like the idea of a universal electronic currency.

I haven’t yet but I haven’t had it enabled long and most of my orders are from Tindie. So its not really a good use case. My thought is it doesn’t take much to add it and with instant payout to USD there isn’t any risk. So why not support BTC? I use coinbase to handle the transactions and convert to USD. They honor the price it was when they checked out to USD. Or you can have a minimum BTC amount in your account.

A Bitcoin market just opened up so here we go - if that market gets 1k members, we’ll add Bitcoin support. How does that sound? https://www.tindie.com/m/Bitcoin/

LOL I am in. I am sure the other 999 will be along very soon :smile:

Not surprised you got invited to the White House, you are one of the world’s diplomats :smile:

1 Like

If they come, we will build it. Or when they do we’ll build it…we’ll see…

Hey everyone,

As I will sell Mooltipass production units in bitcoins… do we have a status update on the bitcoin front?

Regards

We’ve removed it from our todo - it just hasn’t picked up enough transactional volume to build & maintain with our checkout process.

I guess that like nickjohnson I’ll take my business elsewhere then, after all we only raised $126k.

@Limkpin I’m sorry you feel that way.

We’re a small team and can’t spend our time on a feature that we know a very, very small group of customers will use. Having already had a 3rd payment option (Dwolla) in the past, it isn’t a trivial thing to integrate a new system that we must maintain. It means changing much of our checkout system and fraud tools (plus the ongoing maintenance and testing), with very little return.

If Bitcoin were a growing, transactional platform, we would do it. However that isn’t the case.

Because of Bitcoin’s lack of transaction volume and the ongoing development cost we would incur to support it, it doesn’t make sense. Just giving the honest truth…

I don’t feel any way… I just want to offer bitcoin payments, you can’t, so I’ll sell the mooltipass elsewhere :).
I’ll just advise you to look at the volume of BTC transactions per day compared to a few years ago: https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions?timespan=2year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=
Major companies (such as Testla, airbaltic and others) also accept bitcoins… so your sentence “If Bitcoin were a growing, transactional platform, we would do it.” definitely raises some eyebrows.