Hard limit on number of characters of products name, description

I don’t like the 50 char limit for product names and 500 for description. Some of my products have name longer than 50 chars. I can’t make it shorter so I guess I will have to sell it somewhere else then.
Some of my products are simple and there is nothing to write about over 500 characters. Should I fill it with bacon ipsum to meet the requirement? Is this what you want to make your SEO better?
I know you want to have a high quality description of the products, but enforcing a certain length is not a right way to do so.

Fair enough - the reason for the change was that shorter names sell better. Longer names sell fewer or not at all. Also the longer the description, the more sales. If they are shorter, they don’t sell. So both changes are meant to help sellers sell more based upon our historical data.

What is the product name you are referring to? Chances are the longer description should be in the 140 character description - not the title. The product name should be short and simple - like AirPi or Tapster.

For descriptions, 500 characters is honestly not a lot. If you say what it is, how it can be used, and what is included, 500 characters should be a piece of cake.

At the end of the day, if we see a product listing and its super short, and we know it won’t sell, we aren’t doing you or the community any benefits by letting it go up on the site. These were changes meant to help sellers. As we’ve rolled the changes like these ones out, sales have gone up. So it appears customers agree. The better the overall community looks, the more referrals we get, and thus the more sales.

I know that shorter names and longer description sell more, I’ve read your sales analysis. But it doesn’t mean that longer names or shorter descriptions don’t sell at all or that you should limit it. Now when all products needs to go through manual approval process, what’s the point of having this hard limit?

Thats basically what we’re saying. Your chances of selling something with a short description are so small, that it is much more likely hurting your chances of it selling.

The hard limit is to make our life easier so that we don’t have to clean up every field on every new product. 3 person team can only do so much…