Google+ : Pros, Cons?

I’ll let you all in on a little secret, I gave the team the next 2 weeks off. With the holidays splitting the weeks, it just makes sense in my book. It’s also partially for selfish reasons :wink: I’m taking the next 2 weeks to dig into the data to better understand how we can grow even quicker next year.

The last 2 years we’ve poured tons of time into Twitter. It’s most immediate it seems of the 3 social networks - but I found something interesting. While we get fewer overall visitors from Google+, a Google+ visitor visits 40% more pages per session than a Twitter visitor. Over a year that adds up!

So what do you think about Google+? What are the pros/cons? We’ll definitely be upping our presence on G+ in the near year but want to make sure we don’t become obnoxious n00bs. How would you recommend we best utilize our page?

I think the average person has yet to discover Google+. What I mean by this is that I find many techies use google plus but my mom, dad, and brother do not. They are all on facebook and “don’t understand the twitters”.

So with that said it makes sense to me that Google+ visitors would spend more time browsing Tindie. I say just go for it. So long as you are not posting crap just to post crap you’ll be fine. I follow your twitter feed and the same content would do just fine on Google+.

1 Like

100% think you are right - its attracted a much more technical audience. I’m not sure why that is but from spending the last day trying to understand, they seem much more active too

As for why that is - it’s because the product was internally dogfooded amongst Google’s engineers, before a limited launch where they were able to invite friends. Despite general availability, it’s had difficulty spreading past that initial userbase of techies, aside from a few other focus groups, like photographers.

1 Like