Do Adwords help sales?

Has anyone tried buying adwords to bring traffic to your store? Has it done any good (that is, more than paid for itself)? Personally, AdWords are almost completely ineffective on me (as a surfer), and I’m guessing that I fit the Tindie customer demographic fairly well.

I found the following:
Not tried Adwords directly but tried youtube advertising, got the hits up a lot and eat through around £20 for 1000 views. 0 direct converstions

Reddit: Around $10 for 2 weeks, possibly 1 or 2 converstions
Facebook: Tried £5 got barely any hits and 0 converts

Now I’m trying paper based advertising and have brought 1000 flyers for £35 and a 3 month half page advert in a Linux Magazine (Which some of you guys may see soon).

The only issue with paper is that conversions are hard to track. but I should see or not see a correlation between sales and the advert going live in the magazine.

Wow. That’s pretty dismal. I guess it’s just more (virtual) pavement pounding then.

I’ve tried Adwords a couple of times when they offered me the “Spend $25 and get $75 free”, and even with the 75% discount it wasn’t worth it. I should probably take them up on their offer of advice on how to write and target better ads, though, and see if it helps at all.

So far the linux magazine I haven’t seen much increase from specifically as its hard to tell as I was then featured in another linux magazine aswell.

I think the flyers are OK but am struggling to get rid of them.

Its quite hard with being an e-commerce store with marketing as many of the traditional methods for a small business are essentially the usual, setup a youtwitfaceagramvine account, get a website etc.

Hi,

I have tried adwords and facebook too and none of the two returned nothing.