"Add-on" product option

It would be nice to have another way of attaching “add-ons” to a product. With the current product “options”, say I’m selling an item with an optional plug adapter. If I have 50 of the product in stock, but only 25 adapters, the only way to indicate that currently is to create 2 options, with and without, and say that I have 25 “with adapter” and 25 “without adapter”. However, in reality, I have 50 without the adapter, and if everybody wants to buy without the adapter, it looks like I only have 25 of them available.

Having the option to specify “add-on” options would allow you to keep the stock of the main product separate from the add-on, and could also allow you to attach multiple add-ons to a single product without having to create a new option for every combination of add-ons (e.g. and adapter and a power supply), or a quantity value (e.g. you could buy 1 product and 2 adapters, preferably with the ability for the seller to specify a maximum quantity allowed per main product ordered.).

For now, I can make do with the existing product options feature, or just split the “add-ons” out to a separate product listing, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Apologies for any confusion but it is possible to create an “Add-On” using the current product options feature.

Following your example, you would just need to do the following:

1. Create a Product Option called something like “Optional Adapter”
  2. Add only one choice for “Add Adapter” and add a stock of 25.
  3. Do not make the option required

If a customer wants to add that adapter, they would just select it from the drop down before adding it to their cart and stock would be appropriately deducted from both the product and the option.

Here’s a good example:

You can see they have 3 optional “Add-Ons” that are not “Yes or No” scenarios.

It can get more complicated if you want to allow purchases of multiples of the Same Add-On, but at that point it may be best to create separate listings as you mentioned.

If I am misunderstanding, please feel free to contact us at hello@tindie.com for further discussion.

Best,
Tindie Team

Thanks for the information. Looking into it, it does seem like that covers all of the bases other than the quantity, and that’s a pretty niche edge case.