US Customs Declaration for Electronics Kits

But they are different groups responsible for different things. If you assume they are the same, you may miss the real reason your packages are being returned.

This is a label that is used to return something for a customs declaration problem. As you can see it is very different to yours.

Looks like there was a systemic issue with USPS and export compliance recently:
https://www.bigmessowires.com/2021/05/07/us-customs-export-control/

For some unknown reason I dodged it (knocking wood)

I’ve been using 85419000, seems 85429000 is closer, is there a separate code for blank PCBs?

HS Code 85340011 - Multilayer, printed, circuits

1 Like

What if your PCB is in a housing:

I’m thinking: 8537.10.9060

Jacob

I just got a package to Canada rejected by customs, wanted to charge over $40 in duty. That’s more than the value of the components. I used Hobbyist electronics kit as the description and 85429000 as the code (Parts of electronic integrated circuits, n.e.s.).

To follow up on my last message about custom duties when sending kits to Canada, apparently the charge comes from UPS. The actual customs duty is quite small (if added at all) but UPS adds a significant brokerage charge on to the duty. This is why a 40 dollar purchase turns into 80 dollars when the buyer receives the package with almost all of that extra charge coming from UPS.

Sorry to be replying so late but thought I would add to this for others.

UPS often uses brokers in countries. Shipping via UPS always adds the brokerage charge plus the regular shipping cost. The brokerage fee is impossible to determine in advance so I can’t even inform my customers. The brokers also follow the letter of the law and tack on customs fees but seem to ignore the cost declaration and make their own (way higher) guess. So, the duty is out of line with actual product price. This is why I don’t use UPS for my international customers (I’m US based). An 8 oz package to Ireland via UPS added $70 over and above the UPS shipping cost. The price of item was around $50.

Contrast shipping via GlobalPost or USPS. Cost is around $18 USD to Ireland and the Irish postal services doesn’t collect tax/customs duty. In fact, I believe the UK and EU postal services pretty much just deliver the package without charging VAT/Duties/whatever. I’ve heard of maybe 2 cases where they did. That’s out of about 300 packages sent to those countries.

So, the choice is pissed off customers because of significant costs or pissed off customers because of slow shipping. The latter is easier to deal with - at least I can warn them in advance.

Phil

DIY- HS902303
Always works for getting production to US and mailing to international customers.