Alternatives to Paypal

There is: https://twitter.com/asiwatch/status/1367636441128263686

4 Likes

Please Tindie, please, include some options for disbursement! Currently weā€™re charged for a payment fee by you (and Iā€™m fine with that, since youā€™re taking care of it), but then thereā€™s an additional, unexpected and often higher currency-conversion fee from Paypal when we try to deposit our earnings to our non-US bank account, or even when trying to spend that directly from Paypal for non-USD purchases. This fee is really unnecessary, since neither we sellers nor you Tindie benefit from it.

Viable options could be, for example:

1. Give us the option to select something other than Paypal for disbursement, like Wise or direct bank deposit (as Reverb.com does, for example, via Adyen). You said you were already working with Wise, whatā€™s the progress on that? Is there an ETA?

2. Let us choose the currency for disbursement, so you can do the currency-conversion upstream, using the real actual exchange rates, and send our earnings on Paypal in a currency we can directly spend or deposit without additional fees.

3. List our products in the currency we choose, so we can list items in EUR (for example) if our main target is the EU market, and get disbursement in the same currency of purchases (this looks objectively harder to implement and probably confusing for buyers, but again, this is something that Reverb.com does).

:pleading_face: :pray:

4 Likes

Hi @joeSeggiola,

Unfortunately, (this is the same response as for EU tax handling) any changes that involve the accounting department have been put on hold because of the Siemens acquisition of Supplyframe. The integration process is about to start, but I donā€™t have any timeline on when Tindie will be reviewed.

I know itā€™s frustrating. Thanks for your patience. As soon as we can make these live we will email all Tindie sellers and announce it on social media channels as well as here.

1 Like

Hi @jasminebrackett

Any update? Iā€™m holding off becoming a seller until the PayPal alternative is available (Wise is good). But as Iā€™m not a seller I wonā€™t receive the email announcement. Is there a way I can receive an announcement when the Wise integration is live? Thanks

2 Likes

Please email hello@tindie.com to let us know that youā€™d like to be notified when we have an alternative to Paypal disbursements. We can add you to the list. Thanks!

1 Like

I have provided Supplyframe (Siemens) with information about where our sellers are located, and domestic and international order numbers and sales figures for each region. This is so they can review our payments and tax obligations. Iā€™m waiting for their recommendations so that we can implement them. I still donā€™t have a timeline.

1 Like

the best Alternative to PayPal is Payoneer, and In terms of payment, stripe is an option tooā€¦

Thanks for your post andybhai,

We appreciate the feedback. There are no current plans to offer alternatives to PayPal but Iā€™ll absolutely make note of your suggestions and share your suggestion with my team for further discussion.

Thanks,

Stripe can be a good alternative to PayPal.

still no paypal alternative system? this is so sad. Paypal is banned in my country, so I canā€™t sell on tindie. Is there any progress on the payment system? Wise or payoneer can be good alternative. Please do something anymore

1 Like

And now that Paypal has taken on the ā€œresponsibilityā€ to ban accounts or even charge accounts a hefty fine of $2500 for ā€œwrongthinkā€ it is all the more imperative that Tindie offer some alternative so we can escape the Paypal gulag if desiredā€¦

2 Likes

I strongly second to offer something alternative to paypal.

You could also offer the possibility that buyers directly pay sellers (at the risk of the buyers) ā€“ within the Euro zone bank transfer is very easy for this. As eBay hat it for a long time as a possibility (now they removed it).

Please, do not force people to use PayPal, PayPal is not fair to sellers and I as a buyer do not want to give them my data.

1 Like

ā€¦ I see that direct credit card payment is possible now (I ordered for shipping to the UK).

Weā€™ve allowed buyers to pay by either card or Paypal for years. The problem is that we only disburse to Sellers via Paypal. Unfortunately, we still donā€™t have permission from Supplyframeā€™s Accounts department to use an alternative disbursement method. Itā€™s something all of us on our team realize is desperately wanted from our Sellers, especially non-US Sellers.

1 Like

Weā€™ve allowed buyers to pay by either card or Paypal for years. The
problem is that we only disburse to Sellers via Paypal.
Unfortunately, we still donā€™t have permission from Supplyframeā€™s
Accounts department to use an alternative disbursement method. Itā€™s
something all of us on our team realize is desperately wanted from
our Sellers, especially non-US Sellers.

Thanks for that clarification.

Then, why not you switch your payment provider?, ideally one that also
allows for SEPA direct debit?

Or, also allow for ā€œpaying the seller directlyā€ (which of course gives
not any protection to buyer or seller, but might be easiest in some
cases, e.g. cash on personal collection, or bank transfer, which is
especially in the EU a main method for electronically paying stuff)?

Regards!

1 Like

I would guess, this isnā€™t about the payment provider, but more about what the owner of the company allows. I would also guess that things like compliance and prevention of money laundering are very important here. Changing anything like this in a huge company can be a very tedious process.

I did a bit of research, who really owns tindie. I may be wrong, or my information may be outdated, but here is what I found:

Tinde is owned by Hackaday

Hackaday is owned by Supplyframe

Supplyframe is owned by Siemens

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Square for over a year as a parallel test and seem to be seller centric not like the child minds in charge at PayPal.

Tindie (Siemens) will not llow an alternative to paypal for seller disbursementā€¦this is the issue. I am not sure how square could solve this problemā€¦

Iā€™m here too to ask something for EU Sellers. The Paypal change USD->EUR is killing us.

Here we are 5 years later and Tindie STILL doesnā€™t use Wise or ACH transfers like every other professional business on the planet. Does Tindie not have a full-time application programmer? Sooooo many other features missing as well. VERY frustrating, especially considering the fees they charge. :frowning: